National Council Delegate Application
National Council Delegates are accountable to the members of the Corporation of the Girl Scouts of Central Texas. Delegates will represent the Council at the triennial meeting of the Girl Scouts of the USA (GSUSA) National Council and any other meetings scheduled for National Council Delegates during the triennium. Delegates are elected by the members of the Corporation for a term of three years. No person may serve more than two (2) consecutive terms as a delegate, but will be eligible for election again after a lapse of one (1) full term.
*Please note: Alternate National Council Delegates are held to the same requirements and responsibilities.
- Be a citizen of the United States.
- Be at least 14 years old.
- Be a registered member of the Girl Scout Movement with no outstanding council debt.
- Have served at least one term as Council Delegate, Girl Advisory Board (GAB), on the Council's Board of Directors, or on a board-designated standing or ad hoc committee.
- Possess the ability to act wisely as a member of the deliberative body, setting board directions.
- Be able to represent the points of view of various ethnic, racial, educational, civic, religious, and socioeconomic groups.
- Ability to understand issues from a national and a council perspective.
- Ability to think strategically and focus on the future of the Girl Scout Movement.
- Possess strong communication and public speaking skills and the ability to address large groups.
- Be willing to prepare thoroughly for the issues and business that will come before the National Council Session.
- Willingness to support all the decisions of the National Council.
Individual Delegate Responsibilities
- Be fully prepared on all business items before the National Council Session.
- Study the National Council Session Workbook in order to be well informed on procedures and appropriate conduct while at the National Council Session.
- Develop a firm knowledge of the council, the national organization, and their policies and standards.
- Wear uniform at all times when attending the National Council Sessions.
- Adhere to the safety and behavior standards of GSCTX Council and GSUSA.
- In conjunction with the Corporation President/Board Chair and other National Council Delegates develop plan for reporting to the council.
- Assist the council as it prepares to participate in the next National Council Session.
- Delegates are encouraged to actively participate in GSCTX regional meetings throughout their three year term.
- Attend the National Council Delegate training and orientation session.
- Attend the GSCTX Annual Meeting.
- Attend delegate preparation meetings prior to the National Council Session.
- Attend regional meetings to obtain a broad view of the opinions of adult and senior Girl Scout members from all areas of the council.
- Attend all meetings during the National Council Session scheduled within the triennium, which will include:
- The stewardship report of the National Board of Directors on Girl Scouting during the past triennium.
- Detailed reports of sources of revenue and expenses and the status of GSUSA’s financial position.
- Reports on the results of organization-wide surveys.
- Reports on innovation and progress in major areas of work.
- Election of members of the National Board of Directors and Board Development Committee.
- Determining the direction Girl Scouting will take throughout the country.
- Attend other meetings as required by the National and local Board of Directors.
- Participate in National Delegate Forums with the National Board of Directors to discuss key governance issues that are being considered as agenda items for the upcoming session.
Girl Scouts of Central Texas Responsibilities
- Provide materials and training as appropriate for the position.
- Council will provide some financial assistance to delegates for National Convention expenses related to registration, travel and accommodations.
Deadline: November 30, 2024