Council Delegate/Alternate Application
A Council Delegate (delegate) is a corporate member of the Girl Scouts of Central Texas and provides valuable guidance to the Board of Directors in its governance of the Council. Council Delegates are accountable to the Board of Directors through the Regional Chair and to the service unit that elected them.
Each service unit shall be entitled to elect one delegate with an additional one delegate per 500 girls registered in the area served by the service unit as of September 30 of the previous membership year. Each service unit may elect as many alternates as there are delegates. Terms of office shall begin on June 1. The election of council delegates and alternates by the service unit must occur prior to the Annual Meeting notification period. Council delegates and alternates shall serve for a term of one year and until their successors are elected and qualified, or until resignation, removal, or death. No person may serve more than three consecutive terms as a delegate or alternate, but shall again be eligible for election after the lapse of one term. The restriction of no more than three consecutive terms may be set aside if no other willing candidate for election as a delegate or alternate from the service unit can be found.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Gather membership feedback on critical policy and governing issues.
- Interpret, support, and convey all council policies, goals and objectives, and fundraising efforts.
- Attend the GSCTX Annual Meeting to:
- Elect the officers of the Corporation (other than the Chief Executive Officer), members-at-large of the Board of Directors, the members of the Council Board Development Committee, and delegates and alternates to the National Council of the GSUSA.
- Give guidance to the Board of Directors to support the direction of the Girl Scout Movement within the jurisdiction by reviewing and acting on reports and requests of the Board of Directors and members of the Corporation.
- Take all other action requiring membership vote, within the responsibility of the Corporation.
- Conduct such other business as may, from time to time, come before the members of the Corporation.
- Attend region forums and service unit meetings to promote two-way dialogue with the board.
- Attend and assist the Regional Chair in regional meetings or any other council meetings in their area (such as the GSCTX Annual Meeting).
- Promote community visibility by:
- Serving as a liaison between the Board of Directors and the community.
- Identifying and communicating community needs to the Board of Directors.
- Interpreting the Board of Directors’ works to the community.
Qualifications to serve as a Council Delegate or Alternate
- Currently registered in GSUSA with no outstanding council debts.
- Active Service Unit member 14 years of age or older.
- Girl member must be 14 years old by June 1 of the year she is elected.
- Demonstrates good communication skills, sound judgment, and objectivity when analyzing issues and participating in decision-making.
- Available to fulfill time commitment.